Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Power of Keywords in Images to Gain Traffic

I started blogging in October of 2008 after reading an article that putting up new content on a
regular basis can drive traffic to your site. Before that I had an Amazon affiliate site selling acai
berry related products for about a year. Well, I think I had about 5 people visit my site the entire
year and didn’t sell a single item. Wait, oh yeah, my dad bought one product. I was so frustrated
that I decided to get rid of that site all together and try this whole blogging thing.
I had heard of blogging, but I didn’t really know what exactly it was. In fact, before I started
reading up on it, I just thought it was like an online public diary. The more I researched, the more
I got excited. I realized I could write about anything I wanted, I could possibly make some
money at it and turn it into a business.I posted my site on as many blog directories as I could to start getting traffic and that helped. As I started to view my traffic stats I could see that certain posts were getting a lot more attention than others.

For example, my celebrity style guides were contributing to most of my traffic. Not only that, but most of my traffic was entering from Google images.Then I found a glorious piece of information that has changed my site. I found out that you can put keywords into your images to attract search engines. For a novice like me at the time, this was super valuable. I went back through all my posts and entered key words into all my images and did the same with any new posts. My traffic jumped from 1,161 unique visitors in January to 98,363 in April! I was and still am amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment